Sunday, July 26, 2009

Girlish Act

Many girls will agree with me on this that we undergo some internal hormonal changes whenever we go out to shop! I generally go out to buy a menial thing like a toothpaste or bornvita and end up buying something which has huge integral multiple cost as compared to a toothpaste ;)
Same was the story some days back. I was in my hometown for the weekend and had to go out to help my sister buy some daily things as her hostel was about to reopen after the summer vacations. Had planned to go to Spencer for the shopping...Everything was fine and the things put in the shopping basket were all good when suddenly we passed through the electronics section. That acted as a catalyst for us. We looked at each other with a smirky face.In the shelf was a hair straightener,which we both wanted to buy since a long time.
At first we tried hard to resist it, but how could we not buy the straightener which has 6 attachments and 3 types of rollers free!! As many know, girls have some unexplained affinity for the word "free"!
We then started our brainstorming on whether we should buy it or not. We came out with wierd justifications for buying it,one of which i remember was "Noida's air is very polluted, we need a straightener to protect our hair from it". Now, how illogical was that. How can using a straightener help your hair against pollution.
Finally we bought it,whoppieeee and came to the house with our proud possession. But i had to come to the Noida that very day and my luggage did not allow me to keep it with me. So it is in my hometown only. I am waiting desperatly to go to my hometown and bring it with me back. I know i wont we using it much as
1. I would be too lazy to use it often considering the length of my hair.
2. Contrary to what we discussed above, using a straightener harms the hair as much as the pollution in Noida.
Some times i feel, i overspent to buy a thing i will not be using often, but sometimes we should pamper ourselves with the things we desire for long.
It will be sounding very girlish, but i m loving it :)

4 comments:

Brat Heart said...

Nice expression !! and well written too :)

Upfront, i would say, if u really needed it and were desiring it for so long, you should have bought it and good that u bought.

It is not something that would get rusted if not used, so it is a long term asset for you and a useful tool.

But i have another experience of a not-so-similar girlish act...that of my cousin sis...it was the time of the then new vodafone advertisements wherein a cute dog would help a little girl in her chores and it used to impress everyone, not more than my this cousin sis. She was heavily bent upon bringing home a similar puppy and thanks to the generosity / prosperity of her parents, she was rewarded with a very cute puppy which everyone named as 'Boxy'.

But now comes the sad part, my cousin could pay attention on it for only a few days and after that, that little puppy was left at the mercy of house guards and servants who used to feed her.

What intrigues me the fact that i and my dad are avid pet lovers, the league who would trust that animal's honesty more that those of homo sapiens. we treat these pets on par with us humans w.r.t comfort and convenience. We both could not see that pet's sorry state as it is tied all day round only to be freed for its daily nature calls.

everyone has instincts to do something, to crave for something...and its good because it is human nature. At the end, i only hope that our instincts dont let a creature feel sorry for its life. I am a similar advocate of freedom as was William Wallace in Braveheart.

Hanged_Installer said...

Good that you bought it , you needed one..

Brat Heart said...

Dear bloggers..was expecting a comment for my comment ..!!

Abhishek Mishra said...

@Brat Heart - u could have simply posted a comment of your blog here :P

@Mansi - This "affinity" to the word "free" is what these malls and retail chains are actually cashing on :). People tend to buy what they really don't need at lower prices getting, some free stuff along with it which no one needs! :D
I am quite in control of myself when visiting these malls and stores, but once I did a BIG BIG blunder...had to wait for a few months to cover that up :P.